Tuesday, January 22, 2013

I made my own "house seasoning," and I use it on everything!

I was exchanging recipes with my friend, Nathan, a few years back, and he sent me a recipe for crispy potato wedges.  I made them immediately, and while the potato wedges themselves were great, my husband and I noticed that the SEASONING on these things was outstanding!  We both agreed at that moment that we were going to start preparing the stuff in bulk to keep on our counter as an all-purpose blend for those times when plain ol' salt just won't do.

Grilled meats, roasted vegetables, baked potatoes... you name it.

And we have kept that agreement.  It's salty, a little bit garlicky, a little bit spicy-- well, it's just perfect.  It sounds simple on paper, but once you actually USE it, you'll see what I'm talkin' 'bout.  I call it our "house seasoning."  My husband calls it "home spice."  Whatever you call it, you'll never want to run out.  We buy the ingredients in large containers at Costco to ensure that we always have a steady supply.

It's super-easy to make your own all-purpose seasoning blend at home.  I did it, and so can you!


House Seasoning

3/4 cup kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons onion powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 1/4 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano

Combine all ingredients.  Store in an airtight container.  Use on everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment